Sunday, May 30, 2010

Reflection Number Eight

I have always been one to believe that Feud, though seen as a monumental figure to the world of child psychology and development, was a rather strange character. Before reading this article I’d first learn of Feud and his theories in my high school psychology class and continued to learn more about him when I enrolled in a psychology class at my university. Even though I found his work to be astonishing for his era, I always felt his perspective and take on things were rather anomalous. After taking time to read this article, I found myself with the same notion on Feud; reading this article only went to act as reinforcement to my previously held stance on Feud and his works. However, reading this article did allow me to learn something new. Upon my conclusion of the passage, I was able to see why Feud and his works, though a strange character, are thought so highly of even by those who do not agree with all of his takes on development and theories.

Through my reading of this article I was able to learn that Feuds theories revolved greatly around the act of sexual intercourse. Feud describes sex as being a process of procreation; therefore it, in a since, should be the focus of all research work since it brings to life everything. Though this view is one that holds some validity, as a whole, society does not hold the same standpoint on sexual intercourse. It is my understanding that to many, sexual intercourse is seen as this sacred experience that is to be shared between two people who love each other and are bound to by marriage. Yes, it is used to procreate, but it is not the foundation for child development. Due to this opposite view’s society and Feud has on sex; many have come to stand at opposite points than Feud. Though society, in general, stands at odds with Freudian theory, I believe that many still find his work to be important because of the fact that his work and theories have created a foundation for theorist since. In correlation to his theories having built a foundation for theorist since, several of Feuds theories have proven to hold a level of validity. An example of this is Feuds Topographical Model.

All in all, this article has proven to be quite informative. Though it proved to act as reinforcement for my previous notions on Freudian theories, it also allowed some light to be shed on information I did not know before.

No comments:

Post a Comment