Sunday, June 6, 2010

Observation for Equity

This assignment is one that reflects upon and assesses the effectiveness of my chosen observation educator. This entry goes to discuss the methods in which Mrs. Gaudet, Western High School English Educator effectively tends and caters to the needs of her diverse classes. Though my time spent observing Mrs. Gaudet was short, not only as a result of the school years’ conclusion but as a result of her teaching graduating seniors, through my in-depth interview and research of her class lessons I was able to see her techniques to run an effective classroom for all her diverse students.

Though her class composition is founded on a larger foundation of Caucasian students, there is a nice overall diverse composition of her classes as a whole. Through my interview I was able to see and conclude that Mrs. Gaudet is an educator that works to constantly treat all her students equally though she maintains respect for the diversity found in her classes. In order to maintain such this level of equality, Mrs. Gaudet creates lessons and projects that allow for student flexibility and creativity. Most of her lessons are created to work around the class sets of books so that all students have an equal opportunity to learn the same material at the same pace. At the end, as well as throughout the lesson, Mrs. Gaudet creates reflections pieces and or projects that allow students and outlet to display and allot time to fully comprehend what is being taught in class before moving on to a new lesson.

These strategies are ones that intertwine with Mrs. Gaudet method of providing an open climate that adheres to the array of learning styles and uses alternate and diverse learning materials. Through my time spent observing Mrs. Gaudet I was fortunate enough to observe several of her teaching methods that work to execute such tasks. I observed that Mrs. Gaudet uses strategies such as One-on-One Instruction, Pacing of Lessons, and Read Aloud.

Through my short time spent working as Mrs. Gaudet's Teacher Assistant I was able to see that reactions and behaviors of the students to her teaching method. Not only were many of them appreciative of her constant support and respect of their differences. Many of her students on their last day made their remarks to her in regard to the immense amount of material they learned and how they respect her for all she did for them. It was these reactions that warmed her heart as well as mine and it is these same remarks that I aspire to one day receive from my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment