Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reflection fifteen

Prior to reading this article I held a well established view on the topic of homosexuality. I have always felt that though, I do not quite understand the mindset of a person who is homosexual or the reasoning behind it, I respect all those who choose that as their sexual preference as long as they respect me. I don’t feel that because someone has a different sexual preference than I, that they should be treated any differently. They are a human being same as I and they are entitled to their likings and life choices. Upon my conclusion of this article, my views on the topic of homosexuality did not and have not changed from its previous standing. Though, through reading this passage I did learn some new information on the different subcategories that fall under homosexuality and the elements that each category composes. For example, I learned that the gender rolling, a topic that heterosexuality often enforces, is one that has and continues to identify power and dominance with the men species only; this mind set is different for those who take a homosexual liking and preference. In these relationships, the personality characteristics of power and dominance are one that can be taken on by a man or a woman.

As far as the cause of homosexuality, I have felt and still feel after reading this article that there is not a clear “cause”. The way I see it, the same way people can pose the question of why people choose to be in and have a preference for heterosexual relationships is the same question that is asked for those of a homosexual relationship. Who determines what the correct choice and preference is and what makes that person qualified to make such a decision? Those I know many times people refer to their religion as the response and grounds for the answer to this question, but what about those who do no abide by a particular region? What about those who choose to abide by a more spiritual path? What about those who do abide by a particular religion but interpret their book of scriptures differently? Who says that there is one interpretation of that book? All these questions and so many more can be posed when it comes to determining the “cause” of homosexuality and, in my opinion as well as found in many published articles, the definite answer to them has yet to be said.

Though my personal feelings towards homosexuality are one that stands as being against it, I am not a person that will treat other human beings cruelly because of their choices. As a pre-professional educator I feel it is my duty to hold an objective mindset for I will be dealing with a variety of people on a daily basis- a variety that will have different mindsets than I. Therefore I feel that subject such a homosexuality is ones that my previously held notion will not change.

No comments:

Post a Comment