Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reflection Sixteen

Prior to reading this article, I was completely unaware of what intersexuality was and meant. At first glance I assumed that it has something that had to do with a person who was born with both genitals. Though, after reading the article, I realized that it was a much more complex term. Upon my conclusion of this article I learned that intersexuality is a term that is built around the concept that men and women are built in ways that are not so different. Through this article I learned that there are many studies being done on the concept that people are born with a mixture of female and male characteristics. Many times when people read studies on this, they associate it with the term hermaphrodite; though, I learned, through this passage, that such a study along with several other aspects fall into the term intersexuality.

After reading this article I spent much time reflecting on this concepts importance. At first, I felt that this subject was a rather touchy one for it is built around a topic that society rarely openly speaks of and often looks down upon. However, after I spent some time reflecting on the information the passage provides, I began to realize that this topic is important to know. Though it is a topic that is often looked down upon it does exist in many cases in our society. As a result of this, I feel that as a pre-professional educator, it is a topic that I not only may be required to teach soon but one that may be a part of my students. Therefore, it is my duty to be informed about it so that I will have the ability to relate to my students and make them feel comfortable in my class. I also now feel that this topic is one that should be discussed more; for it is a topic that is found in society and may soon be needed to help progress it through outlets such as medicine.

Overall, this article is one that proved to be rather interesting; for not only did it shed some light on a topic that is often kept in the dark, but it allowed me to realize the importance in a subject area that I never thought of before. Parallel to its interesting nature, this article proved to be a very informative for it clearly broke down of the scientific studies and theories that have been done on the subject. This allowed for me to not only grasp the information easily but it also was formatted in a manner that allowed me the opportunity to form my own opinion of the subject matter; rather than swaying me one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment